This is a most exciting time to join our team! We have two openings – one for a Media Specialist and a Graphics and Social Media Production Intern. Details below.
Job Description: Media Specialist
Full Time, Preferably based in Washington, DC
Family Values @ Work, www.familyvaluesatwork is a network of state coalitions that organize to win work and family policies such as paid sick days and paid family leave. We seek a skilled, experienced and creative Media Specialist who shares our values to lead the communications work with state coalitions, including media outreach, materials and online communication. S/he will collaborate with Family Values @ Work’s Digital Director on social media outreach, and support national communications consultants on designated projects.
- Works with state leads and local communications teams in the development and coordination of communications strategies for campaign projects, linking communications to organizing work and local campaigns to national movement.
- Helps create materials for local coalitions, including op-eds, background pieces, fact sheets, press kit materials, leaflets and other pieces as needed for various campaigns.
- Provides technical assistance to state-based campaigns on collecting stories, creating blogs, flyers, and other materials, and on maintaining campaign websites.
- Helps organize media training for local leaders.
- Works with Digital Director to lift up local work through social media.
- Supports national communications consultants on designated projects.
Direction and Decision Making
The Media Specialist will work independently with clear guidance and assistance, and report to the Executive Director.
- Strong commitment to gender and racial justice and social justice values.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications, English or another related field and at least four (4) years of work experience in media relations, public affairs, or campaign communications, or a graduate degree with course work in communications or related field and at least two (2) years’ experience in media relations, public affairs, or campaign communications OR demonstrable equivalent media skills and experience.
- Familiarity with social justice movements.
- Skilled in proactive media outreach and rapid response techniques
- Skilled in material design.
- Ability to work well with diverse leaders.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Familiarity with organizing campaign strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects, develop work plans and meet target goals and objectives.
- Skilled in electronic and print media systems.
- Desire to work in and foster a culture of high output, open communication, low ego, and no drama.
- Some travel required.
- Appreciates humor and the importance of life outside of work.
Fluency in Spanish and/or experience in racial justice organizing.
Family Values @ Work is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage women, particularly candidates of color, LGBTQ candidates and people with disabilities to apply.
Salary commensurate with qualifications. Excellent benefits and flexible work arrangements.
Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and recent references to jobsatFVAW@gmail.com
Graphics and Social Media Production Intern
Family Values @ Work is a network of coalitions in 24 states that organize to win work and family policies such as paid sick days and paid family leave. We are seeking a web and social media production intern to assist with content production and digital audience engagement. They will collaborate with our Digital Director on social media outreach on designated projects and may work remotely (with flexible hours).
This is a great opportunity to build a portfolio and support organizing on a critical issue. This is a paid internship. Successful candidates will work at least 15 – 20 hours per week.
- Creating shareable graphic and memes for social media
- Compose and schedule social media posts (e.g. Tweets) per our long-range editorial calendar
- Social media listening
- Assist with thematic digital social media and web campaigns varying by geography (states)
- Produce daily content (including short blog posts) for social media on tight deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills Experience:
- Experience using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest
- Strong graphics skills, ability to create memes, shareable graphics, infographics, leaflets, etc.
- Good grammar and communication skills
- Google Drive (Docs and Sheets) proficiency
- Familiarity with image editing software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva
- Excellent time management skills
- Blogging experience a plus
- Previous volunteer/nonprofit experience
- A passion for social justice
Technical Skills Preferred:
- Basic HTML (not required)
- Adobe InDesign experience
- Proficiency with WordPress
Email a cover letter, resume, writing and samples of graphic work to jobsatFVAW@gmail.com.
We are an EOE and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, age, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.